How to Deal With Taxes if You Work at Home

vHow Do I Do Taxes if I Work From Home

Imagine, you are a businessman or businesswoman and you work on yourself, and you do not receive a salary. But be ready that nothing exempts you from paying social taxes known as the self-employment tax or the self-employed tax.

What tax obligations do you incur as a private entrepreneur?

In most cases, as a private entrepreneur, you are required to file a tax return annually and pay the estimated tax amount every quarter.

Private entrepreneurs, as a rule, must pay the tax levied on independent contractors (SE tax), as well as income tax (income tax). The tax levied on independent contractors is the tax on Social Security and Medicare, which is levied primarily on non-employed people. Similar taxes on Social Security and Medicare are withheld from the salaries of most employees. As a rule, the term “self-employed tax” is only used for taxes on Social Security and Medicare, and no other taxes (such as income tax).

Before you can determine whether you are required to pay self-employed tax and income tax, you must calculate your net profit or net loss from business activities. This operation is performed by subtracting the number of expenses associated with your business from the amount of income received as a result of your business.

If income exceeds expenses, the difference is net profit and becomes part of your income, which you claim on page 1 of Form 1040 or Form 1040 SR. If expenses exceed revenues, the difference is a net loss. You can usually deduct your losses from the gross income that you claim on page 1 of Form 1040 or Form 1040 SR. But in some situations, the amount that you can claim as a loss is subject to restrictions.

If your net private business income is 400$ or more, you must file a tax return. If your net private business income is less than 400$, you are nevertheless required to file a tax return if you meet any other requirements for filing a tax return listed in the Instructions for completing Form 1040 or Form 1040 SR (English).

How to make quarterly payments?

Estimated tax is the method used to pay taxes to Social Security and Medicare because you do not have an employer who can charge taxes for you. To determine the amount of these taxes, the “Estimated tax for payment by private individuals” is used. Form 1040-ES contains a table similar to that found in Form 1040 or Form 1040 SR. To fill out Form 1040-ES, the previous year’s tax return is sufficient.

Use the table in Form 1040-ES, “Estimated Tax for Private Payments,” to determine if you need to pay a quarterly estimated tax.

Form 1040-ES also have voucher forms that you can use to send payment of estimated taxes by mail or for payments using the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System. If this is your first time working for yourself this year, you need to evaluate the income you expect to receive this year.

If you overestimated this estimate, simply recalculate your estimated tax for the next quarter by filling out the new table available in the form of Form 1040-ES. If you underestimated this estimate, then simply recalculate your estimated tax for the next quarter by filling out the new table available in Form 1040-ES.

How should I file a tax return?

When filling out a tax return, you need Appendix C to indicate the income or loss from the commercial activities of a small business that you carry out, or from professional activities that you engage in as an individual entrepreneur. When filling out this form, the Instructions to Appendix C can help you.

To indicate your taxes to Social Security and Medicare, you must file Appendix SE (Form 1040 or Form 1040 SR), “Self Employment Tax”. Use the revenue or loss value shown in Appendix C to calculate taxes for Social Security and Medicare, which you must pay during the year. To complete the SE Application, instructions for completing this form will help you.

Do you have to file an information declaration?

If you made or received a payment as a small business or as a (self) self-employed person, you will most likely have to file a “tax return” with the IRS.

Business structure

At the beginning of your business, you must decide what the organizational structure of the enterprise you are creating is. The organizational form of your company determines the form of the income declaration that you must file. The most typical organizational forms of enterprises are sole proprietorship, partnership (partnership), corporation (corporation), and corporation type “S” (S corporation). Limited Liability Company (LLC) is a relatively new enterprise structure permitted by state law. Use the business structures page of commercial enterprises to obtain additional information about each type of organization and about the forms of tax returns to be filed.

Home office expense deduction

If you use part of your home for business purposes, you may be entitled to deduct from your tax base the costs associated with using your home for business purposes. The right to “deduct expenses for a home office” is granted to both owners and tenants of all types of housing.

According to IRS Home Office Rules, home office expenses can only be deducted if “a specific area of ​​your home” is used regularly and solely as your place of business. “However, if you use the home office space as“ a place to meet or communicate with patients, clients, or clients, ”even if this is not your main business, you can still claim to retain a home office.

Regularly and exclusively

The key point in the withdrawal of the home office is that the office space should not be for both personal and business. Thus, this means that if you want to deduct your home office, this should not be the place where you pay your bills and email your friends.

It should also be used regularly for business, so “accidental or accidental use of the business” is not suitable.

Some exceptions for exclusive use apply to licensed kindergarten owners and those who store equipment in their homes.

Main place of business

Finding your main business is more difficult for those who do business in several places. But even if you don’t spend most of your work time in your home office, you can define your home office as your primary place of business if you use it regularly and exclusively for administrative activities such as billing, scheduling appointments, writing reports and Documentation (and do not have another fixed location where you do this).

For example, a sales representative who spends a large amount of time outside of his home office visiting clients should still qualify for a home office, but her home office should be the only place she does administrative work and she must follow all the rules, deductions from other home offices.


If you meet with clients in your home office, but your main place of business is in another place, you can still claim a deduction for the home office. But you must physically meet with them (virtual conferencing is not taken into account!), And the use of the office must be “essential and inalienable” for running your business.

Thus, random meetings held in your home are not taken into account.
For example, a hired lawyer who meets clients in his home office two days a week but works in another office for three people may qualify for a home office, although the other officers may be considered as the main business.

Now that you know the IRS rules about whether you can deduct the home office.